Biddy's motto: "Volunteers are unpaid not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless." - Biddy Roger
Serving Groups: We have openings for volunteer groups to cook and serve meals for our guests. Most of our volunteer groups commit to cook and serve once a month (hours 3-6 PM). If you would like to help without the monthly commitment, we have spaces available on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month, for individual volunteers. Please contact us and we will be happy to find a time for you to come in and help out.
Lunches: We are always in need of people to make lunches for our guests to take with them. Generally the lunches contain a sandwich, a sweet treat and a salty snack, fruit and beverage. If you are willing to help us by preparing bag lunches, please contact us at 203-417-1333
Work Groups: We occasionally put together groups to help with special projects, such as food drives and spring cleaning. If you are interested in helping out with these events, please contact us.
- WASH HANDS:Use the hand-washing sink just inside the door: the Health Department rules do not permit use of food preparation sinks for washing hands.
- PREPARE DISHWASHING STATION- Dishes are washed in detergent and hot water in a dishpan in the left bay, rinsed under running water in the middle bay, and soaked for 3 minutes in a Clorox bath in a dishpan in the right bay. (Clorox is under the sink; use ½ tsp per gallon of hot water.)
- STOVE:If oven is to be used, turn it on early to pre-heat it: it takes a while to get hot. Note: When ever stove is on, exhaust fan should be turned on.
- MAKE SALAD:Use big bowl. Ingredients are in the walk in cooler and dressings are in Fridge #1 Salad are to be served on the rolling cart inside the dutch door and should be covered with wax paper or saran wrap. Dressing must be placed on ice on the cart
- PUT BREAD AND BUTTER ON TABLES:one basket of bread and ½ stick of butter per table, refills as needed. Discard leftover bread/butter at the end of the day.
- MAKE SANDWICHES FOR BAG LUNCHES:At least 25 will be needed, put each one in a plastic sandwich bag and return to fridge #3. Sandwich meat is in Fridge #3. If you run out, make up tuna or peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. Opened peanut butter and/or jelly should be put in Fridge #3. Tuna and more peanut butter and jelly are in the storage room. Be sure to use up any leftover sandwiches first; they would be in Fridge #3. One bag lunch per guest.
- ASSEMBLE LUNCHES: Date the lunch bags. In a paper bag, put a sweet treat, a salty snack and a piece of fruit (whatever is available) and anything else that has been left for lunch use (e.g. popcorn, cookies, candies, pocket tissues) and add sandwiches. Lunches are placed in fridge 3
- PUT ROLLED SILVER CONTAINER ON COUNTER:Each guest is handed a roll of flatware with his/her meal. Note: may need to roll some each day. Napkins are in the cupboard below.
- PUT A STACK OF PLATES ON COUNTER LEFT OF STOVE:Count the number of plates in the stack; it will help in determining the number of guests served.
- PUT OUT JUICE:Juice will normally be in Fridge #2. Use whatever is available. Additional juice is in the walk-in fridge and small storeroom adjacent to the kitchen.
- PUT OUT MILK FOR COFFEE:Milk is in Fridge #2 also. Use small creamer and refill as needed. Unused portion must be discarded at the end of the day. Check sugar supply on counter.
- SERVE THE MAIN MEAL:Keep track of number served and number of bag lunches given out. Enter in log at end of day (see #17) Carry outs are for guests listed on the side of refrigerator 2 ONLY.
- DISHWASHING PROCEDURE:Dirty dishes are received at the left pass-thru. They are scraped into garbage there and taken to the 3-bay sink. Dishes are washed in detergent and hot water in a dishpan in the left bay, rinsed under running water in the middle bay, and soaked for 3 minutes in a Clorox bath in a dishpan in the right bay. (Clorox is under the sink; use ½ tsp per gallon of hot water.) Dishes go into the drainer to dry; flatware can be dried on a towel. If the water is hot enough, they will dry in a few minutes.
- PUT DISHES AND FLATWARE AWAY AS THEY DRY.
- WASH COOKING POTS AND UTENSILS AT SINK BY STOVE:No Clorox needed.
- MAKE ENTRIES IN LOG.
- IF DONATIONS ARE RECEIVED, ENTER ON CARDS IN FILE BOX
- PUT EVERYTHING AWAY:Leftovers should be wrapped, dated, and identified. And placed in the walk in cooler
- WASH TABLES IN SERVING ROOM:Use green spray cleaner.
- CHECK BATHROOM AND STAIRWELLS.
- TAKE OUT GARBAGE:Put new bags in cans, covers on. Trash goes into small dumpster.
- PUT RECYCLABLES IN RECYCLE BOXES:On Thursdays recyclables go into trash cans outside, by the dumpsters.
- TURN OFF FANS, LIGHTS, STOVE, COFFEE POT, LOCK DOORS.
- CHECK ENTRY DOORS.
THANK YOU FOR VOLUNTEERING!
If you have a problem or questions, call Lisa Martin at (203) 417-1333 or Tom Connors at 475-218-5519
For Police call (860) 355-3133. For Ambulance call 911